University Term Professorship awards
Four faculty members at the University of Florida College of Medicine – Jacksonville have received University Term Professorship awards from the UF Provost’s Office. These physicians have displayed a distinguished career that places them among the leaders in their discipline.
The awardees are:
- Guy Benrubi, M.D., a professor and chair of obstetrics and gynecology, and senior associate dean for faculty affairs
- Robert Percy, M.D., an associate professor of medicine in the division of cardiology
- Mobeen Rathore, M.D., a professor of pediatrics
- David Vukich, M.D., a professor of emergency medicine, and senior associate dean for hospital affairs
UF COMJ was allocated four awards for the 2018-19 academic year for eligible tenure-track assistant, associate and full professors in their fifth year of service, or longer. Each University Term Professorship award lasts three years.
UF President Kent Fuchs announced the University Term Professorship award in 2016 to further recognize and reward faculty achievements. The awards are based on assessment of academic accomplishment.
Holders of the award may add “University Term Professor” to their academic titles for the duration of the award.
Eleven UF COMJ faculty members have received promotions that took effect July 1.
The promotion process is a rigorous review of the faculty members’ clinical accomplishments; scholarship of teaching and learning; research; and service to the university, society and the profession. These advancements recognize their valuable contributions to the University of Florida, UF COMJ, the state of Florida and the nation.
Promotion to professor (tenured)
- Barry Steinberg, M.D., Ph.D., D.D.S., oral and maxillofacial surgery
Promotion to clinical professor
- Rui P. Fernandes, M.D., D.M.D., oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Jerry P. Matteo, M.D., radiology
- Joseph R. Shiber, M.D., emergency medicine
Promotion to clinical associate professor
- Carlos A. Arango, M.D., community health and family medicine
- Silvio W. de Melo, Jr., M.D., medicine
- Reetu Grewal, M.D., community health and family medicine
- Faheem W. Guirgis, M.D., emergency medicine
- Sukhwinder J. Sandhu, M.D., radiology
- Vandana K. Seeram, M.D., medicine
- David J. Skarupa, M.D., surgery
Twenty-five faculty members have reached milestone years of service at UF COMJ. The list includes Carlos Arce, M.D., an associate professor of neurosurgery; and Andrew Kaunitz, M.D., a professor and associate chair of obstetrics and gynecology. They are both celebrating 30 years at the college.
Click here to view the full list of recognized faculty members.